An ARCS Foundation Oregon University Matched Endowment (UME) supports a scholar award at Oregon Health & Science University, Oregon State University, or University of Oregon in perpetuity. By establishing a UME you can leave a legacy by giving a gift that will continue funding outstanding ARCS Foundation scholars permanently into the future.
You could fund a UME if you are required to take a minimum distribution (RMD) from your IRA. This is a tax-smart way to support science in America and is excludable from your gross income (a TAX FREE gift!).
I. ARCS FOUNDATION OREGON UNIVERSITY MATCHED ENDOWMENT
- The minimum amount to establish a UME at OHSU, OSU, or UO is $100,000.
- The three research universities supported by ARCS Oregon, OHSU, OSU, and UO, currently allocate matching funds of $50,000.
- ARCS Foundation Oregon provides matching funds toward the establishment of a new UME. For each new pledge of $100,000 or more, the Oregon Chapter will contribute $7,500.
Example of a UME:
$100,000 Donor gift
+ 50,000 University matching funds
= 150,000 Minimum amount to start a UME
+ 7,500 ARCS Foundation Oregon match
$157,500 Total amount of the Named ARCS Foundation UME
- A UME may bear your name or the name of someone you choose to honor.
- The UME funds a scholar in an approved ARCS Foundation Oregon department at the university designated by the Donor.
- University Matched Endowment Agreement templates have been written and approved by ARCS Oregon board and the university partners.
II. MANAGEMENT OF THE UNIVERSITY MATCHED ENDOWMENT
- The UME is invested and managed by our university partners (OHSU, OSU and UO). The endowments are 3-way agreements between:
- The Donor
- ARCS Foundation Oregon
- The respective university (OHSU, OSU, or UO)
- Once the UME is established, each individual endowment maintains a separate identity but is pooled with all university endowments for investment purposes.
- The goal of an established UME is to fund scholar awards from its investment returns. The ARCS Foundation Oregon Scholar Award funds an aggregate of $18,000 payable over 3 years.
- Each university will provide an annual report on the UME status and activity to the Donor.
- Ideally, the UME should be established with a full 4 quarters of investment time before funding a scholar award.
- The Donor may always jumpstart funding the UME by contributing an additional $6,000 for the first year.
IV. UNIVERSITY MATCHED ENDOWMENT PROGRESS AS OF MARCH 2021
- To date, 21 university matched endowments have been established since 2016 using this model:
- Twelve (12) at OSU
- College of Agricultural Science (2)
- College of Engineering (4)
- College of Forestry (1)
- College of Earth Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (2)
- College of Science (1)
- Graduate School (1)
- Five (5) at UO
- College of Arts & Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Human Physiology) (3)
- Eight (8) at OHSU
- School of Medicine (6)
- School of Nursing (1)
- Twelve (12) at OSU
For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.