Six OHSU scholars welcomed ARCS members into their labs on March 5, 2019. Members witnessed a glimpse of science in action at three labs on Marquam Hill and three labs at the new Knight Cancer Research Building in South Waterfront Campus. Following the lab tours, some members gathered for a no-host lunch in South Waterfront at La Dolce Vita.
- Tim Bates, 2nd-year scholar with the Tafesse Lab, discussed research work that includes highlighting pathogens relating to tuberculosis.
- Sydney Boutros, 3rd-year scholar with the Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, talked about her research on Parkinson’s disease.
- Molly Marr, 2nd-year scholar with the Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, discussed her research on the impact of maternal psychological stress on infant neurodevelopment and emotional development.
- Kyle Gustafson, 2nd-year scholar with the Department of Biomedical Engineering, presented a slide presentation on using blood tests for "liquid biopsy" to detect cancer before it is symptomatic.
- Erik Burlingame, 2nd-year scholar in the Department of Computational Biology, discussed his slide presentation demonstrating the predictive uses of computational biology.
- Alexandra Quakenbush, 3rd-year scholar who is a cancer biologist with the Schedin Lab, discussed her research focusing on the liver size in women after pregnancy, lactation and weaning.